Compensation & Benefits
Click here to view the current salary range for Police Officer Recruit and Police Officer (Lateral and Academy Graduate).
Lateral Incentive Program
$12,00 Signing Bonus
Successful Lateral candidates will be paid $6,000 at the time of hire and $6,000 upon successful completion of the one-year probationary period.
The retirement formula will depend on employee’s status with CalPERS. Laterals who are not considered “New Employees” under the CalPERS definition will be hired under the 2.0%@50 formula and pay 12% towards their retirement package. Laterals who are “New Employees” under the CalPERS definition will come in under the 2.7%@57 formula and pay 50% of the “Normal Cost” share of CalPERS Safety Retirement (currently 11.25% - this rate will vary over time).
- 3/12 work schedule (after completion of the academy)
- Eligible for GI benefits while in the academy
- Military leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Life, Accident, Critical Illness, and Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Vacation, Personal Holidays, Sick Leave
- Deferred Compensation Plan Options
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical and Dependent Care)
- Credit Union Membership
The Brea Police Department provides a number of special pay opportunities as an added benefit to officers. Listed below are pay incentives that eligible officers receive in addition to their base salary.
- Bilingual Pay, $200 per month for the first eligible language in addition to English and $25 per month for each additional eligible language
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Pay, $200 per month
- P.O.S.T Pay
- Intermediate, equal to 7.5% of base pay
- Advanced, equal to 12.5% of base pay
- Special Assignments, equal to 5% of base pay
- K-9 Handler
- School Resource Officer
- Downtown Liaison Officer
- Crime Suppression Unit
- Homeless Liaison Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Uniform Allowance, $850 per fiscal year