Compensation & Benefits
Click here to view the current salary range for Police Officer Recruit and Police Officer (Lateral and Academy Graduate).
Foreign Language Bonus
Mandarin and/or Korean-speaking candidates for Police Officer Recruit, Police Officer Academy Enrollee or Graduate, and Police Officer Lateral may be eligible for a $10,000 foreign language bonus program, paid in three installments, if they successfully pass the appropriate foreign language proficiency test. Under the program, $2,500 would be paid upon successful completion of the required probationary employment period, another $2,500 would be paid upon completion of three years of service, and a final payment of $5,000 would be issued at the completion of five years of service.
The retirement formula will depend on employee’s status with CalPERS. Laterals who are not considered “New Employees” under the CalPERS definition will be hired under the 2.0%@50 formula and pay 12% towards their retirement package. Laterals who are “New Employees” under the CalPERS definition will come in under the 2.7%@57 formula and pay 50% of the “Normal Cost” share of CalPERS Safety Retirement (currently 11.75% - this rate will vary over time).
- 3/12 work schedule (after completion of the academy)
- Eligible for GI benefits while in the academy
- Military Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Life, Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity and Short/Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Vacation, Personal Holidays, Sick Leave
- Deferred Compensation Plan Options
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical and Dependent Care)
- Pet Insurance
- Credit Union Membership
The Brea Police Department provides a number of special pay opportunities as an added benefit to officers. Listed below are pay incentives that eligible officers receive in addition to their base salary.
- Bilingual Pay, $200 per month for the first eligible language in addition to English and $25 per month for each additional eligible language
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Pay, $200 per month
- P.O.S.T Pay
- Intermediate, equal to 7.5% of base pay
- Advanced, equal to 12.5% of base pay
- Special Assignments, equal to 5% of base pay
- K-9 Handler
- School Resource Officer
- Downtown Liaison Officer
- Crime Suppression Unit
- Homeless Liaison Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Uniform Allowance, $850 per fiscal year