Questions about parking permits can be directed to email@example.com or 714-671-4406.
Effective May 1, 2022, the Brea Police Department began proactive overnight parking enforcement. Overnight parking is prohibited from the hours of 2:00 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. on:
- City Streets
- City Structures
- City Lots
In City park lots, overnight parking is prohibited from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. per City Code and for safety and aesthetic purposes.
Residents without adequate private, off-street parking in their
may apply for the annual parking permit available through the City of Brea Community Development Department:
Vehicles displaying valid permits will be exempt from citation during the overnight hours. However, this permit does not exempt a vehicle from being ticketed for violation of weekly street sweeping restrictions in the daytime. There is a fee to receive this permit and it must be renewed on an annual basis.
Only vehicles that are legally registered at a Brea address are eligible to receive a City issued permit.
Vehicles properly displaying valid handicap placards are exempt from the overnight street parking regulations.
The following criteria has been established as the requirements for qualification of any individual and property desiring to obtain a parking permit to park on any public street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. on any day.
1. The applicant must be of legal age to operate a motor vehicle.
2. The applicant must have a valid California driver’s license.
3. The applicant must reside at the address for which the permit is being applied.
4. The property must be in compliance with all City Code requirements for on-site parking before applying for a parking permit. These requirements include:
- All parking areas must be free of any materials or obstructions that would block access to one or more parking spaces.
- Vehicles shall not be parked in a manner that obstructs access to other vacant parking spaces.
- In garages of single-family dwellings, with a capacity for parking two or more vehicles, an area equivalent to that allowed for one standard vehicle (9’x19’) may be utilized for non-parking purposes.
- Approved vehicles that are registered to the property address.
5. All on-site parking spaces must be utilized prior to parking permit issuance. Exception: in garages for single family dwellings with area for parking of two or more vehicles, an area equivalent to that allowed for one may be utilized for non-parking purposes.
6. Only properties zoned for and occupied as residential use shall be eligible for a permit.
7. When a property has been identified as part of a Special District, the applicant shall comply with any special requirements developed for that District.
8. No permit shall be issued to any property that is more than 100 feet from a public street on which parking is allowed.
Annual parking permits are intended to relieve situations where the garage and driveway spaces have first been properly utilized for operable vehicles registered to that household. A permit may be obtained for:
- Any additional operable vehicles registered at the same address that would need to be parked overnight on the street directly in front of, or within 100 feet, of that residence.
All registered vehicles are to be listed on the household’s permit application. A single parking permit is then transferable between these multiple registered vehicles at that household. This can be most helpful for situations where a different vehicle may need to be parked overnight on the street from day-to-day. Inoperable vehicles may NEVER be left in the street.
Single family residences are allowed 2 parking permits maximum.
Townhomes, condominiums, and apartments are allowed 1 permit maximum per unit.
How To Obtain An Annual Permit
Overnight parking permits should be obtained online. You save both time and money by using this option. To apply for a parking permit online, you can:
- Click the "Apply/Renew Online" link above
- Visit brea.thepermitstore.com
Please allow 24 hours for new account approval.
The online permit process option is offered at a reduced cost of $22.00 with a $1.00 shipping/handling fee. As an annual program, new permits should be displayed in vehicles beginning January 1st.
All permits will expire on December 31st of each calendar year. Permits for the following year will be available for purchase the first week of December.
Renew at City Hall
Residents are strongly encouraged to purchase their permits online rather than making a trip to City Hall.
An approved online account is required to process any overnight parking permits at the counter.
You must bring in current registrations for all vehicles registered to your household in order to purchase permits. Also, be aware that the cost for obtaining a parking permit at City Hall is $34.00.
Learn about the appeal process should a permit application be denied.