Disposal of Bulky or Hazardous Items
Disposing of Items
Consumers are responsible for the proper disposal of items that are no longer useful. Please read the updated instructions below and do your part to ensure refuse materials are handled correctly.
- Furniture, water heaters, stoves, dishwashers and other bulky items too large to fit in your regular household trash container - Call Republic Services to schedule a free bulky item collection. Homeowners may request this service up to three times per calendar year without an additional charge on the trash bill. To make arrangements, call 714-238-2444.
- Refrigerators or air conditioners - If purchase of a new unit does not include haul-away of the old one, then you must call Republic Services to schedule a pick-up and removal. See attached rate sheet for bulky item pickup cost.
- Large home construction and remodeling debris - Request your contractor include hauling service in the bid or you must call Republic Services to rent a three-yard bin or a roll-off container for debris that is beyond the capacity of a regular household trash container, such as landscape and demolition debris.
- Televisions or computer monitors (CRTs) - Take electronic waste to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. This service is free to Orange County residents. Under a recent E-Waste program, it is also possible for Brea residents in single family homes to arrange for direct curbside pick-up of electronic waste as part of the bulky item pick-up program. To make arrangements, call 714-238-2444.
- Paints, used motor oil, herbicides and most cleaning products are considered hazardous waste and must be dropped off at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. This service is free to Orange County residents.
- Mattresses - Disposal of mattresses into the landfill is a waste of space and there are many environmentally friendly ways to get rid of an old mattress. ByeBye Mattress can help you easily dispose of your mattress. Other alternatives are also available.
|Republic Services/ Brea Disposal Customer Service |
1131 N. Blue Gum
|Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center|
1071 N. Blue Gum Street
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday 9 AM to 3 PM
Between the 91 and 57 freeways, corner of La Palma and Blue Gum
It is illegal to dump your trash of any kind into commercial bins at retail, office, or industrial areas. This is a misdemeanor violation and fines can range to $15,000 and punishment of up to six months in jail. Plan for proper and responsible disposal of any items you have purchased when they have reached the end of their usefulness.