Forming lasting and meaningful partnerships with the community, residents, and business owners through volunteerism has always been a priority at the Brea Police Department. Over the years we have had close relationships with several volunteer groups. The Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) program sprang from the evolution of our association with these previous groups. VIPS is a group of residents and business owners from Brea. These volunteers augment the strength of the department by volunteering a minimum of 16 hours per month.
VIPS duties include:
- Assisting with traffic and crowd control at civic functions
- Proactive patrolling of our community schools, businesses, and residential areas in specially marked and equipped cars
- Filing in our records division
- Answering telephones in the detective bureau
- Assisting at crime scenes
- On occasion, taking part in surveillance operations to help deter crime
These volunteer efforts allow the police department to provide a higher and more expedient level of service to the community by freeing up the officers in patrol to answer calls for service.